Wednesday, February 11, 2009

All Filler, no Killer

It's actually been a good couple of days. I am working near full time, making barely enough money to pay bills, and the band is doing well. I have been given a couple of days off in a row, and I tell you, I haven't been in this good of a mood/gotten this much sleep in well over a year. I am smiling. Hopefully this isn't my mind cracking (it may even be only a temporary thing) but I still need to make a post about something. So what to talk about? Why not music?

The following is a list of songs that I feel would be good "break-up songs." Not that I have had the recent experience of a break-up (there are prerequisites involved for that,) but with Valentine's Day approaching, and some of my readership being single, I figured that this might be of some interest. Linkin Park will not be seen on this list. Everybody already knows "In the End" by fucking heart.

"Vermilion" by Slipknot
This one is pretty clear. If just broken up, all some really want to do is just yell their brains out. This song helps you acknowledge the fact that the one you just had wasn't "the one," and regarding your "one," you may finally be able to tell yourself "She isn't real" and there's nothing you can fucking do about it. Life ain't Disney. Yell about it.

"The Game" by Disturbed
Don't worry, this list won't be all metal. Just most of it. Anyway, the refrain in here is for the man who was dumped or cheated, not the dumper or cheater. "Is she not right? Is she insane? Will she now run for life in the battle that ends this day?" I guess this applies in that all relationships can be seen as a battle which we all will lose until we meet our perfect partner, or at the very least, the person we find ourselves best tolerating. To translate and quote Rammstein, "Sex is a battle, Love is war." Which reminds me...

"Wo Bist Du" by Rammstein
"Where are you" is a song for that poor love-torn soul who just can't find that partner that seems destined for him or her. The assumed protagonist in the song winds up killing himself in a graveyard, and calls it sleep. The minor key of this song, the mournful vocals, and the mere opening lines make this a good song for the sad. Or suicidal. Hell, it's Rammstein, it's automatically a good song. You know what else is a good song?

"Amour" by Rammstein
This is a fantastic song, off of their 4th album, Reise, Reise. It applies with the lyrics of how love is a wild, ravenous beast which cannot be controlled. It preys upon you, filling you with burning desire and crazy longing. And the end of the song, "Love is a wild beast, and you fall into it's trap. It stares into your eyes, binding you in it's spell. Please please, give me poison." Awesome. Tell a guy that's just lost someone that's not what's it like. I'll bet it is, anyway...

"Take It All Away" by Cake
I'd post the lyrics, but that's too long and and it all applies. I will copy and paste the post bridge verse though. "Go, Go ahead and destroy this. Better come with an army. Are you feeling, feeling okay, baby?" It can apply to both sides of a breakup, plus it's got a very sad melody yet again.

"Pure" by Orgy
A lot of Orgy songs can apply to the recently single, but this one seems like it applies best to the very-long-term-recently-cut-short breakup. "You got the best of me when you said you didn't love me anymore." Priceless. I'm also a huge fan of the song "Inside My Head" but I think that more for the guy that's still embracing the memory, not the breakup.

"Right Where It Belongs" by Nine Inch Nails.
I was recently given this song, and I love the hell out of it. If you're looking for distortion, it's there at the end, If you're looking to just sing, this is for you. If you're looking to tell yourself "Maybe it wasn't all it was cracked up to be" just listen and try to enjoy it, sad-face.

"Just So You Know" by American Head Charge.
This is another one of my favorites, but I don't think anyone actually remembers this band. "I wish your body was not so warm to me" shows us that the protagonist misses the hell out of her. "And all it was was something beautiful, when tides and dreams don't seem so tall, at all." Dude, how much more passion could you cram into a final sentence to your ex? That's how I choose to interpret that line. But my best point from this song is where he begins to shout. "You won't save me. I can't save you." The context in which I choose to apply this is something about which I actually feel anger (There it is!) There are people out there who choose to take it upon themselves to find that pitiful excuse for a human and decide that he or she is going to be granted the world and all it's goodness in an effort to "fix" the subject. An example could be that one episode of Family Guy where Brian tries doing magic in order to get a new girlfriend, only to find that she's picked out someone who is a loser (and also not a dog.) It doesn't work. People can't be loved back into shape; it takes hard effort and strong will on their own part. "You won't save me. I can't save you." You can only save yourself. I think it applies anyway.

There are more songs that work really well. Blind Guardian and Nightwish have pepperings of lyrics here and there that can be matched up as you see fit. There are numerous indy bands that have perfect songs for exact situations. It's up to the listener, really. My tastes aren't nearly broad enough to render an unbiased opinion. The comments section is open to all you readers who want to put in your two bits. But just in case you can't reconcile your emotions, and you need to end it all...

"Hotel California" by The Eagles
Get in your car after midnight. Find a not-so-crowded road. Turn on this song (loop it if you have to do so) after you've been going for a little while. It is my stark opinion that before long, you'll have thought enough about everything to want to drive yourself into the nearest telephone pole, wall, or truck.
Don't kill yourself. I don't need the liability.

This is probably to be continued. Have a nice day, everyone.

-The0

Edit: 02/15/2009

One song that I really wanted to mention in the lineup in the first place was this.

"Don't Tread on Me" by Metallica.
Now, this doesn't have so much to do with breaking up. It's just a kickass song to which you can feel angry at someone. It's a war march against your ex, and you can't help but solidify your feelings at the jerk or bitch by shouting "So be it! Settle the score! Touch me again for the words that you'll hear forevermore!" and then you splice in whatever you want to say, at the top or bowels of your lungs. I think it's cool.

This isn't to deny all my lovely commentors. Those are all great tunes for the subject matter. I'm stealing a couple as I type this. Awesome.

3 comments:

  1. For the sax player in an alt-rock band, you sure listen to a lot of metal. I tend to go for more melancholy and humorously melancholy music when I'm in a break-up:

    Cake - Sad Songs and Waltzes
    Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have
    REM - Country Feedback
    REM - Monty Got a Raw Deal (this one is not so much about breaking up, but it's got some great lines: "You don't owe me anything, you don't want this sympathy, don't you waste your breath")
    Ben Folds - Kylie from Connecticut
    Ben Folds Five - Selfless, Cold, and Composed
    and of course:
    Ben Folds Five - Song for the Dumped
    Dresden Dolls - Boston
    Dresden Dolls - Delilah
    Vienna Teng - Recessional (Lots of great lines: "I know I don't want this, I swear I don't want this, there's a reason not to want this, but I forgot" and "Who are you, the stranger in the shell of a lover?")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, BANANA PHONE! DOOO DOO DEE DOO DO DOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. came hoping to see "Everybody Plays the Fool" by the Main Ingredient...

    ... left disappointed.

    ReplyDelete